In this article, we will talk about “HOW TO REGISTER A BUSINESS IN KENYA ONLINE”. Previously, we discussed about “How to register a business in India online”
Registration of Business in Kenya
Having a business, you can call your own is an investment that is worth it, not only in the present but also in the future. However, to enjoy your business in Kenya, you have to register your business with the Kenyan government to operate legally and peacefully.
With the advent of technology, business registration has been made easier and can be done in the comfort of your home. It can be done through the eCitizen portal. The citizen portal is one developed by the federal government to ensure that businessmen and women can register their businesses easily.
E-Citizen Business setup
The following steps on eCitizen should be followed to register your businesses online:
- Get a business name reserved: Your business name is your first identity, so you have to get a unique business name so as not to answer the same name with another company. After accessing the citizen website, click on Business Registration Service and then click on Make Application. Doing this will take you to the next page where you will be needed to click on Business Name Registration. After this, you are to choose the name you would want your business to be called and the type of business it is. Furthermore, it is of importance to note that the search for a unique name is processed within one day, and you can only submit one name at a time. The website is available for this service daily; working days within the hours of 8 am to 5 pm, weekends and public holidays excluded. Once your request for your business name has been approved, your preferred choice of name will be reserved for you for 30 days. However, you will need the following information handy as it will be required for the filling of the business name registration. This information include:
Information required for the registration of online company in Kenya
- Full name as seen on your passport/id
- Business name suggestions
- If you don’t have one, you can register for one at Posta Kenya
- Town name, Street name, land ref number or plot number
- Nature of business
Location of business premises
Clear copies of the passport photograph, KRA pin(compulsory for all Kenyan shareholders/directors but not compulsory for foreigners)
- Registration of business name: If the reservation of the business name you chose is successful, an email of approval is sent to you, informing you of the success of your reservation, meaning that your chosen name is available for your use. You can then proceed to register your business name.
Sign in to the eCitizen portal once again and click on business registration. After that, click on the add business button and input the business name allocated to you for the website to search for it.
When you see it, click on the name and click on the next button. You will then be required to pay for the registration then download the invoice and the necessary forms. Fill or sign appropriately.
Lastly, you are required to submit the documents to the Registrar of Companies Office for verification.
Once your business registration is successful, you will receive your business’ certificate of incorporation between the range of 2 to 3 weeks.
Cost for the whole registration process
The cost for the whole registration process is as follows:
Name search- Ksh. 150
Sole proprietorship and Partnership – Ksh. 1,000.
Business registration – Ksh. 10,650
In conclusion, as earlier stated, eCitizen has been given to us to make the registration of our businesses easier, thereby enabling us to showcase that great business idea to every citizen of our beloved country, so let’s go out there and make Kenya shine
One can also search for “How to register a company in Florida”